Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Citrus Snow Recipe.


How to make the perfect Citrus Snow. Recipe.

This citrus snow dessert is wonderfully sharp and fresh tasting, it is the perfect thing to serve after a rich meal. The snow looks very impressive piled high in tall sparkling glasses. I like to use martini glasses and decorate the citrus snow with lime zest and an orange twist. This is what I would call an adult dessert, some children do like the tart citrus taste but I’ve found it can be a little bit too tart for most of them. My own children liked this snow with some raspberry syrup poured over it to sweeten it up a bit. To make it even more special try substituting a fluid ounce or two of Cointreau for the water. Gran Marnier works well too.
Citrus snow recipe.
The amounts given here will serve six people if you use glasses or four if you are going to use glass dishes.

Fresh juicy lemons, perfect for making Citrus Snow.


 Ingredients.

1 orange.
1 lime.
1 lemon.
1/2 pint ice cold water.
1 sachet of vegetarian gelatine substitute.
4 oz sugar.
3 egg whites.
1 small orange cut into very thin slices to decorate. Or the zest from the lime and lemon.
Method.
Prepare the vegetarian gelatine substitute using the cold water as per the instructions on the packet, I have found they can all differ slightly. The best vegetarian alternative I’ve found is Agar- Agar which is a seaweed derivative, you can buy it in strips or powder form. Other vegetarian gelatine substitutes to look out for are Guar, Xanthan gum and Carob fruit. Thinly peel the citrus fruit and add this to the gelatine mixture with the sugar. Heat this mixture through over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, only stir this with a metal spoon and never allow the mixture to boil as this will ruin the flavour. Remove this from the heat and leave to cool for around ten minutes. Squeeze the juice from the citrus fruit, sieve the gelatine mixture through a fine mesh sieve and add it to the fruit juice. Sir well and then put it in the fridge for an hour, stirring occasionally. The mixture should thicken quite well by the end of this hour, if it still looks a bit runny just give it another thirty minutes in the fridge. Remove from the fridge and add the egg whites.

Buy your Agar- Agar from Amazon.

Whisk with an electric beater for at least ten minutes until the mixture is very light and fluffy. There really is no other way to make this snow as you have to use an electric beater, it can’t be done by hand I‘m afraid. Pour into individual serving glasses and refrigerate for at least two hours before serving. Just before you take this dessert to the table decorate with a thin slice of the small orange arranged into a twist on the top. Another good way of serving this snow is to use some hollowed out large lemons. Take a thick slice from the top and a thin slice from the bottom of each one so that they will stand. Fill these lemon shells with the citrus snow mixture and use the slice from the top as a ‘hat’. You can also make this recipe using all lemons, if preferred, but you will need to add a little more sugar to taste.
Of course you don’t need to throw the three left over egg yolks away, if you aren’t going to use them the same day as you are making this snow. You can freeze them in a plastic container for up to six months. Remember to label them clearly with the date that you froze them and use them on the same day as you defrost them.

1 comment:

  1. drfredspirituraltemple@yahoo.com)) my dear readers around the globe, it is a great privilege to tell you about this great man who helped me over come the tragedy in my relationship, and how his herbal medicine help me too. My relationship became so complicated to a stage that I was scared of losing my wife to another, lasting long in bed was a problem and I knew deep down in my that my wife was not happy about it. Sometimes when I asked for sex the way she would act before the sex I noticed it was because I was not satisfying her, when she needed it more I hard already come and it was not the best. So I needed to find solution that was how I came in contact with DR FRED he really changed my sex life and ever since then life has been fun because my wife now love me more than she used to, all thanks to DR FRED for this great thing he did for me.. If you ever need help of any kind sickness like DIABETES.. HERPES.. you can visit DR FRED temple for solution ((drfredspirituraltemple@gmail.com)) or what's app +2348158839763

    ReplyDelete